Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Temple of Kraden News: Welcome to the Temple of Kraden! ------ All worshipers may enter the Most Holy Place in single file, reflecting on the bountiful blessing Kraden hath provided unto him or herself since their last visit. Head coverings are not necessary, as true penitence and humility are found within. The Priests and Priestesses of Kraden endeavor to remind all that fresh orange juice is heavily preferred; only whores use frozen.
Greetings, heathen. Perhaps some fortuitous blessing of Kraden's grace hath led you to our humble Temple, or perhaps you are simply curious about this strange and wonderful cult. Should you be willing - and dare to hope - to achieve enlightenment, the door opens before you. Lo! Leave your old life behind! For once you step through, you become something more than just yourself.

You become a Kradenette.

Are you willing to make the rapturous plunge? Do you have what it takes?

One of us! One of us! One of us!

Already one of us? Make your presence known:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What does Temple mean to you?
Topic Started: Mar 27 2018, 01:32 AM (1,151 Views)
Hell
Member Avatar

Hey guys. So I've soul-searching a bit. Specifically, Iíve been trying to understand myself. But itís difficult, because the sleep-deprived and dopamine-addled brain of my young adult years has garbled its memories into about as much a mess as expected.

Luckily, a good deal of my activity was online. But alongside exploring old posts, I thought itíd be fun to ask Temple itself and make a bit of discussion for anyone interested in reminiscing.

So thatís it.

How has Temple changed over the years? What are your favourite memories? What were its low points?

What made Temple special to you?

Spoiler: click to toggle
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Crystallux
Member Avatar

I'm gonna say pretty much the same reasons as you, Hell. I know I joined back in 2011 after GSR shut down, and I really loved how different the atmosphere was here. People are so much more friendly than they were on GSR. I kept having periods of being active for a while here, and then disappearing, but after I graduated college, I came back and have stayed pretty active. I love how open-minded and non-judgemental everyone here is, for the most part. I also feel like I can be myself, and it's a pretty close-knit group here. People are pretty supportive of each other, and I love that.

HyrulianJedi
Member Avatar
uguu~
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Temple's got my oldest friends. I joined in high school, and while I've cycled through a lot of different places since then and watched a lot of friends come and go, I've always had Temple (and the people here) that remained constant. Granted, not many of them - there's only a few people here that I talked to then that are still around. Others have followed the same trend of coming and going, but the setting has always been constant, and that makes it easy to return to.

King in the North
Member Avatar

The Temple is love. You took us GSR refugees in when we were hungry and cold.

Aevis Martius Ravi
Member Avatar
Origins

I can't really put it any better than lux did, GSR was fun at times but had a tendency to be hostile. Here, it's like an internet home, my vision of the snack bar really encompases the entire feel; laid back, accomidating and a place to feel free to be yourself. I may not create strong ties with everyone or completely open up (translates into rl too), but I try to be active and mingle to some degree.

ShmittlesThePoe
Member Avatar
Pirate Wavemaster
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
You know in online gaming, when you roll with a lot of the same people often, and logging on become less and less about the game and more and more about hearing from those people you've become familiar with? That's pretty much the Temple to me. Except, since it's in message board form, you can communicate as fast or as slowly as you want, which is always nice. Golden Sun makes for a fun and pleasant starting point that we can all assume some form of common ground with, whether it's mentioned directly or not.

I joined almost 10 years ago upon being invited from the Golden Sun forums on GFAQs (probably by Draco or someone), and it's been great.

Hell
Member Avatar

This is going to be a bit of a mind dump on my part. I'm still trying to figure out how I feel. Iíd forgotten things that gave Temple a rosy tint. While reading old posts, I remembered how I felt when I wrote them. Itís like a past version of myself woke up, and he wasnít who I remembered.

I suppose the big thing to say is that I had forgotten how hungry for attention I was, particularly early on. When people spoke about me, I got giddy with excitement, but when posts were ignored, Iíd be inordinately disappointed or anxious. I was a total egomaniac.

I also acted like a twat because I liked the idea of embodying the free spirit who didnít care about what others thought. Pretty ironic! It was certainly confronting to see how obnoxious I got at times. And donít get me started started on my various ticks.

Eventually I became less neurotic, but itís certainly interesting to remember how I was. I also wonder how much of that person is still around. Itís difficult to say. The more recent I look, the harder it is to be impartial.

Anyway, I ended up defining about three main periods of temple for myself. This is probably how Iíll index memories from here.

Graveyard shift shenanigans (~2011)

Easing back (~2012/2013)

Mafia (~2014)

Without looking back, I wouldnít have remembered a lot of this. Makes me wonder how many other memories are sitting inside my head, but left without a cue like these forum posts. It's a bit sad. Feels like a waste if theyíre stuck in there.

Anyway, I think Iíve cleared up a lot of my experiences on Temple. It certainly wasnít as pretty as I remembered, and I'm still working out how all of it feels to me, but Iím glad to have dug it up again. It fits rather neatly into a larger timeline Iíve been building. Itís also kind of interesting to see how I ended up categorising things in the end. Itís indicative that my feelings about Temple are related to the effort I put into Temple.

Also, thank you everyone for sharing. It's interesting to see how ubiquitous the desire for community is. I don't know why, but it keeps surprising me to see how social we as people are.

Peytral
Member Avatar
peytral pls

should be moved to srs srs bsns imo

(i'll get back to this when it's not 4 AM)

Jenna
Member Avatar
hunny bunchkins sugarcube lettuce chamomile sweetie pumpkin schnitzel fries

Temple is humbling because there are a lot of very smart, talented nerds here.

I feel really lucky to have been part of a community that has gone so long without dying out. I've never left or taken a break, so that speaks to how much I've gotten out of it.

Peytral
Member Avatar
peytral pls

Peytral
Mar 30 2018, 03:10 AM
(i'll get back to this when it's not 4 AM)
*ahem*

holy SHIT it's Hell

Gilgamesh
Member Avatar
solbowz Aurarius

Hell
Mar 29 2018, 05:27 AM
That time when everyone was spamming Appreciation threads
Let's never do this again

Peytral
Member Avatar
peytral pls

Let's do that again.

The Temple needs the activity boost.

Gilgamesh
Member Avatar
solbowz Aurarius

The discord people can just stop hiding in their holes instead

HyrulianJedi
Member Avatar
uguu~
Says the Skype nerd.

Gilgamesh
Member Avatar
solbowz Aurarius

Temple didn't die when people started using Skype

Actively nosedived once discord appeared though

Crystallux
Member Avatar

Technically the temple is still active, but just not on the temple...

Saturos
Member Avatar
heart-under-blade

Temple is technically the community, and if the community uses a different medium more as time passes/finds that meets their needs more, I'm not going to force activity to the forum.

But that being said, there's no reason we can't have both. ^^

I'm still stewing on my response to this topic, since suffice to say, there's a lot I could say. >.>

HyrulianJedi
Member Avatar
uguu~
Gilgamesh
Mar 30 2018, 09:02 PM
Temple didn't die when people started using Skype

Actively nosedived once discord appeared though
"The Sbox is killing Temple activity!"

"Skype is killing Temple activity!"

"Discord is killing Temple activity!"

Phoenix7
Member Avatar
Azure Blur

Man it's almost like a forum of mid/late 20 year olds centered around a niche franchise that hasn't seen a new game for almost a decade doesn't have lasting appeal.

That said, y'all are fun and cool people which is why I'm still here, I'll elaborate when I have more time. <3

Kiki
Member Avatar
Kiki Martius Chantico

Fascinating to read your reflections, Hell. I'll be dipping into some old posts too this evening, I think. I love being able to relive those moments, somehow.

The Temple means a lot to me and I don't know how to sum up the whole experience. I could write thousands of words on the Temple.

Early Years
I wanted to be a part of something! Of a community! I had my friends from my neighborhood, but maybe this cool online place could be just mine!
I totally have rose-tinted glasses regarding this time. I was an average teenager with average teenage angst, but when I think of these years I think of the joy of coming home from school and gleefully dicking around with Kradenettes on the boards, on the chatbox/chatroom, eventually on Skype. I was just a dumb giddy kid. I loved just feeling involved, from making illustrations for the Temple News and posting in some RPs and making serious, close friends as a young adult.

The Mod Years
Hanging out with you all made me a bit smarter and a bit funnier but still a dumb kid. At some point I was invited to join the group of teenagers who called the shot around here and began participating the fun world of Why Did We Fight So Much Over Such Dumb Shit. There's something enthralling about being so young and carefree that you have the energy to get all fired up over which box for entering words the rest of the Temple used to enter words for each other to read. I strove to be a moderate moderator and learned to, or learned to try to, see things from other's point of view and to be fair, not hotheaded. I wasn't perfect, and eventually I got fed up, but my time as mod has made me a much better person overall.

Becoming an adult
I left home and remember thinking a lot about how comforting it was to sign on to this warm golden happy forum. No matter how much the world seemed to change, ToK was a constant and I was really grateful for it. I felt like I was really good friends with everyone, even if I really only talked one on one with a few people. Around then I think we still have a few cool projects people would get invested in, like RPs and the Temple News for a while and board awards. When I worked a crappy job, this was the best place to come and vent. Even if no one read or responded, just pouring thought into the pile of goodwill and merriment here was a relief.

THE NOW
I think we're all still invested in each other. I think many of us will still be friends and communicating in a decade. I sincerely hope there will still be a central hub too, be it this forum or a discord server or whatever exists in the future (some sort of VR lobby that would be so cool omg). I will admit I gave up contributing my fair share of posts here out of sadness for seeing the forum itself dwindle. I may be a little attached to the boards. >_> But I do miss the energy we all had when we were younger and our real life concerns were less demanding, so we gave more here. And I do feel sad thinking about how things aren't going to be like that again, not gonna lie. I'm going to try to up my posting here, but it has been kind of exciting seeing how the Discord grows, with old friends popping up here and there.

I had way more profound thoughts about this yesterday, but I didn't type them up and now I've lost them. I dunno. Maybe I'll remember them. I'm really interested to see how others feel and what you all have to say.

EDIT
Quote:

Man it's almost like a forum of mid/late 20 year olds centered around a niche franchise that hasn't seen a new game for almost a decade doesn't have lasting appeal.

WOW GOING IN FOR THE KILL OUCH

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Clan Commons · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Affiliates

Golden Sun Universe Golden Sun Hacking Community The Lost Waters Golden Sun Land Golden Sun Adept's Refuge Golden Sunrise

Visit the Zetaboards Theme Zone for a custom theme of your own!