Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Temple of Kraden News: Welcome to the Temple of Kraden! ------ All worshipers may enter the Most Holy Place in single file, reflecting on the bountiful blessing Kraden hath provided unto him or herself since their last visit. Head coverings are not necessary, as true penitence and humility are found within. The Priests and Priestesses of Kraden endeavor to remind all that fresh orange juice is heavily preferred; only whores use frozen.
Greetings, heathen. Perhaps some fortuitous blessing of Kraden's grace hath led you to our humble Temple, or perhaps you are simply curious about this strange and wonderful cult. Should you be willing - and dare to hope - to achieve enlightenment, the door opens before you. Lo! Leave your old life behind! For once you step through, you become something more than just yourself.

You become a Kradenette.

Are you willing to make the rapturous plunge? Do you have what it takes?

One of us! One of us! One of us!

Already one of us? Make your presence known:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Golden Sun Rebalanced
Topic Started: Nov 16 2016, 05:16 PM (5,360 Views)
HyrulianJedi
Member Avatar
uguu~
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So several years back, Erik the Appreciator set about tweaking the games to balance them better - or, rather, to make them more challenging. While he's not been present here for a while, his hacks are still publicly available.

So, I thought, why not do a group playthrough?

Golden Sun
The Lost Age

Details of the hacks can be found in the topics, though the TLA one is a lot more detailed. Overall, however, they act to make the games' battles more challenging. Unused items have been added back into the games in various places, as well, doubling as a minor restoration hack.

Instructions for setup

For those who have flash carts or other emulators, feel free to use them, of course.

At the moment, I'd like to gauge interest in this, so we can sort out a timeframe for us all to start, that way we play through the game more or less together. Upon finishing GS, we would pause to get everyone together again, then move onto TLA.

We've all played through the games before (except for shitlords like Arty and Slime), but this gives us an opportunity to experience them in a different manner. I know I've gotten tired of cutting out segments of the game to increase the challenge, so I'm hopeful this will actually make the run much more interesting.

So far myself, Satty, Chrono, Miral, and Asphodel have all expressed interest in doing it. And, of course, joining doesn't obligate you to finish - but if you take too long, we'd probably just move on to TLA without you. Who else might be interested?

Current List of Interested Participants:
  • HJ
  • Satty
  • Chrono
  • Miral
  • Asphodel
  • Ulta
  • KitN
  • Adnarel
  • Whimz
  • Gnarly
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

UltaFlame
Member Avatar
Thanks Poui.

Hey hey don't forget me, I'm so in

King in the North
Member Avatar

Hm, I'm kinda interested. Been so long since I replayed any of the GS games. This might be a nice way to do it.

Also, a tip for people using emulators, check out VBA-M. VBA haven't had any support for many years, while VBA-M is a continued project so it runs better.

http://vba-m.com/

http://vba-m.com/about.html

Adnarel
Member Avatar
I'd rather be outside.

I am interested.

HyrulianJedi
Member Avatar
uguu~
Oh, sorry Ulta, I just grabbed the names of people I saw commenting about it in the chat. I might've missed yours.

VBA-M is a good catch, as I've been out of the emulation game for years. I assume it still carries over the same "soft patch" capacity that VBA had?

whimzzzie
Member Avatar

UM YES

King in the North
Member Avatar

HyrulianJedi
Nov 16 2016, 07:26 PM
Oh, sorry Ulta, I just grabbed the names of people I saw commenting about it in the chat. I might've missed yours.

VBA-M is a good catch, as I've been out of the emulation game for years. I assume it still carries over the same "soft patch" capacity that VBA had?
Should have everything VBA had so if that worked on the original it should work now. I've never soft patched myself, when I had to patch the .ips files I use http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/240/ , simple tool for patching .ips files onto roms. Two clicks and the rom should be patched. I've used it on snes roms before, just tried it on GS1, says it worked. It doesn't seem the author of the patch have put a signature at the start of the rom though so impossible to see if it truly worked 100% until I get to the actual battles and can tell a difference.

Also, don't forget to turn on Enhance Sound and Sorround in Audio Core Settings, the music in GS deserves highest quality. :werebarret:

The very first Vermin you encounter did just attack and the defend right after, which should confirm "almost every enemy in the game takes two actions per turn"?

Uh yeah the two Wild Mushrooms can recover their own HP via their attacks and almost killed me. I think the patching utility worked just fine.

Gnarlymaple
Member Avatar

Sounds fun, I had actually been going through a playthrough of TLA a while ago that I never ended up finishing.

Yeah, sign me up!

HyrulianJedi
Member Avatar
uguu~
King in the North
Nov 16 2016, 07:34 PM
Uh yeah the two Wild Mushrooms can recover their own HP via their attacks and almost killed me.
holy shit

OP updated with VBA-M and current list of interested people.

I was thinking of giving it a few days to garner interest, and maybe starting this weekend? That gives people the ability to use it as a distraction from their families over Thanksgiving. :awe:

Admiral Miral
Member Avatar
The Light of Hope

HyrulianJedi
Nov 16 2016, 08:08 PM
maybe starting this weekend?
Starting on Sun/Moon release weekend? lol

Sundancer
Member Avatar
Stargazer

Ooooooh.

I feel like I shouldn't commit to this given my life right now but if any of y'all are going to post about the process, I'd be happy to follow along.

Momentime
Member Avatar
uh oh

Wait, how is this going to work? We all do a hacked playthrough and keep a log or something or what?

DJ Octavio
Member Avatar
Check out my spicy wasabi beats

This looks interesting... I may have to try

HyrulianJedi
Member Avatar
uguu~
Nah, the idea was just to have a common starting point for people to play from, to foster more of a sense of community from it. No need to keep a log, we can just post about it normally here. Judging from KitN's test, there'll be some entertaining and surprising moments to share.

And there's no obligation to finish, or even start at the same time. So anyone is free to partake as much or as little as they'd like.

HyrulianJedi
Member Avatar
uguu~
So I know Sun/Moon just came out, and people will be playing that, but I don't see much reason to wait on starting this (and letting people lose interest again). And, again, play at whatever rate you want! This topic was more just to collect interest and try to get people playing it to facilitate discussion.

I think I'll say we kick this off tomorrow, unless there's a lot of opposition.

Admiral Miral
Member Avatar
The Light of Hope

I won't be starting it anytime soon because of Pokemon, but go for it.

leaf
Member Avatar
Crimson Leaf Vermillion

Sounds fun. Is it fine if we start today? I'll probably forget about it otherwise lol

edit: I just started, figured I can at least get the prologue out of the way. I forgot how awesome the music was when the monsters start appearing. Dat bass, yo.

King in the North
Member Avatar

I'll try some here too. Lets see if I actually survive Sol Sanctum. I'm already scared for the first Saturos battle.

oh and kraken...god damn that shits gonna sting like it did on the very first playthrough

And yes, with the VBA-M sound enhancements the music is just top notch quality.

leaf
Member Avatar
Crimson Leaf Vermillion

Sol sanctum

I'll probably write another update after the thieves.

King in the North
Member Avatar

Currently at Bilibin. I usually like to get Mia before Tret but still went to Kolima to get Granite since it's an easy get and so worth it, especially since shit is certainly harder. Also, suddenly I feel that various items I would never use on a normal playthrough, such as Oil Drops and Smoke Bombs, are very useful and important now. So I check every jar and barrel and box there are.

And yes, I learned fast in Sol Sanctum that this is a playthrough you can't save PP on weak enemies and only use normal attacks. Enemies need to die fast or they get in several hits and HP gets low real fast lol.

So thus far, really liking it. Hopefully the bosses aren't too strong, and you can actually use tactics to defeat them. I once played a Pokemon hack that was supposed to be more diffucult yet still balanced but the Gym Leaders were so unfairly strong that tactics and type advantages didn't matter.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Golden Sun: The Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Affiliates

Golden Sun Universe Golden Sun Hacking Community The Lost Waters Golden Sun Land Golden Sun Adept's Refuge Golden Sunrise

Visit the Zetaboards Theme Zone for a custom theme of your own!