Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Temple of Kraden News: Welcome to the Temple of Kraden! ------ All worshipers may enter the Most Holy Place in single file, reflecting on the bountiful blessing Kraden hath provided unto him or herself since their last visit. Head coverings are not necessary, as true penitence and humility are found within. The Priests and Priestesses of Kraden endeavor to remind all that fresh orange juice is heavily preferred; only whores use frozen.
Greetings, heathen. Perhaps some fortuitous blessing of Kraden's grace hath led you to our humble Temple, or perhaps you are simply curious about this strange and wonderful cult. Should you be willing - and dare to hope - to achieve enlightenment, the door opens before you. Lo! Leave your old life behind! For once you step through, you become something more than just yourself.

You become a Kradenette.

Are you willing to make the rapturous plunge? Do you have what it takes?

One of us! One of us! One of us!

Already one of us? Make your presence known:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Historical Movie Recommendations
Topic Started: Apr 16 2016, 04:28 PM (653 Views)
Peytral
Member Avatar
peytral pls

For my history class this semester, I need to write a review of a movie that relates to a specific historical period. The problem is, I'm not very knowledgeable of movies. I don't think it needs to be very historically accurate or anything, just something grounded in history. Also preferably something you'd think I'd like.

One catch is that it has to be from a time period that we studied but it'd probably just be easier for you to throw stuff at me and let me pick out what qualifies since we've done a bunch of different time periods and civilizations. Also all of the periods we've covered were pre-1500 or so.

Thanks in advance.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jackal
Member Avatar
Come and Take It - Temple Tsundere

what does it say that the first thing I thought of was a Chinese movie

Hero strikes me as a film right up your alley. It's set in the Qin dynasty and has a lot of flashy fight scenes, and I know how much you love your fight scenes.

Jenna
Member Avatar
hunny bunchkins sugarcube lettuce chamomile sweetie pumpkin schnitzel fries

Are you writing just a general review?

Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette is a period piece with lots of interesting style choices to reach out to a modern audience.

Peytral
Member Avatar
peytral pls

Jackal
http://forum.templeofkraden.com/single/?p=8786921&t=7466384
what does it say that the first thing I thought of was a Chinese movie
That you're Jackal.

Hero looks like it's probably up my alley. I probably should've just asked you instead of making a topic.

Jenna
http://forum.templeofkraden.com/single/?p=8786923&t=7466384
Are you writing just a general review?

Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette is a period piece with lots of interesting style choices to reach out to a modern audience.
Yeah, a general review, apparently. The history thing seems to just be as an extra educational aspect and to make it fit in with the class. Marie Antoinette's a fair ways beyond our studied year range, unfortunately.

Crash
Member Avatar
Wheey! I've became a human being!! I am very handsam!

There's Red Cliff, about The Battle of Chibi. There are multiple versions though: the Chinese release, which was actually two full-length films, and then the American theatrical release which combined the two.

Honestly can't think of a whole lot of films about earlier history besides stuff like that.

Jenna
Member Avatar
hunny bunchkins sugarcube lettuce chamomile sweetie pumpkin schnitzel fries

Oh, whoops! Didn't see that time cut-off. Gladiator is a good one.

Nell
Member Avatar
The Pretender
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Red Cliff is a great movie/two great movies. Mmm, Takeshi Kaneshiro.

Agora is not bad, if the ransacking of the Library of Alexandria is something that interests you.

Aevis Martius Ravi
Member Avatar
Origins

Hrrm, well Little Big Soldier comes to mind, a Jackie Chan movie, of course. It's assumedly set in the same period as Jackal's suggestion, in the warring states period. It's more drama and plot driven opposed to action, though the supporting cast has its fair share of battles and such. Good movie once it gets going.

Apocalypto, which is set at end of the mayan civilization, is another movie that comes to mind but its historical facts are all over the place. Still a decent movie.

Pre-1500's is quite difficult.

The Phantom Squee
Member Avatar
Sound the horn and call the cry: "How many of them can we make die?"

It occurs to me, I haven't actually seen a whole lot of historical films set before 1500. Most of the ones I've been exposed to have been 18th century or later.

Anyway, Bowz mentioned it elsewhere, but I second his recommendation of The Admiral. Hero, as mentioned, is another good one if you want wuxia stuff, as is House of Flying Daggers (it's set against the corruption of the late Tang Dynasty). Kingdom of Heaven is about the Crusades, and I've heard the director's cut is very good, though I haven't seen it myself. And then if you want a classic, there's also Ben-Hur.

Edit: Oh, Man of La Mancha would probably appeal to you as well. It may be set just a little bit too late for your time period, though... ?

Peytral
Member Avatar
peytral pls

Okay, guys

Same thing, but this time it's from the 1400s on. Which seems like it will be much easier.

Thanks in advance and go nuts.

(I think I'd prefer something that isn't wuxia this time just to vary things up)

Gilgamesh
Member Avatar
solbowz Aurarius

How much after 1400?

I haven't seen it in years but I remember The Last of the Mohicans being pretty good. It's a historical drama set during the French and Indian War so it's a rare Colonial America movie that isn't about the Revolutionary War for something different there. Iirc it had a pretty decent ost and I think the costumes and such were fairly accurate too.

Kiki
Member Avatar
Kiki Martius Chantico

My personal favorite historical movie:
Butterfly's Tongue (Spain) - A about a young boy living in a village that gets caught up in fear at the onset of the Spanish Civil War. A slice of life tale about the boy, his teacher, and his family in a time when neighbors were suspicious of each other and men were dragged away in the night.

If you want a painful experience, the Patriot. I hate that movie, but Mel Gibson said of the ridiculous historical inaccuracies, "You can't write a movie about history." If you want to take that outside snippet and use it to frame your review, you could probably run pretty far with it. (my boyfriend told me to suggest this, I would never willingly suggest someone watch it with their eyes.)

I'm trying to think of more suggestions, but I'm not a big movie person.

Gilgamesh
Member Avatar
solbowz Aurarius

Jamieson Price is in the Patriot at least

Momentime
Member Avatar
uh oh

Master and Commander is a very obscure movie that tries its best to be historically accurate. It's about naval battles during the Napoleonic Wars.

Also what's the time cutoff? You could make great topics about colonial liberation i.e. Malcolm X, Mandela, Gandhi.

Peytral
Member Avatar
peytral pls

I don't really need to make any topics. Historical accuracy doesn't seem like it's a particularly big deal and the assignment is just writing a pretty standard review, so the main guideline is that it's something that I'd enjoy watching and writing about.

Cutoff period is to like 2011 or so lol

Jackal
Member Avatar
Come and Take It - Temple Tsundere

Alright, seems like it's time for Round 2

Uh, the first thing I thought of was the most obvious one, Saving Private Ryan. Dunkirk (2017) is good but I don't think it's out on DVD until like next week or so which puts a wrench in that. More recently I recalled someone bringing up the Marie Antoinette movie the first go-around and since you like her in FGO you'll probably like that movie, especially since I can see her listening to the alt-rock music that movie uses.

Crystallux
Member Avatar

Braveheart, 300, and Les Miserables (Idk if that last one counts, but it's pretty relevant). They're all different time periods throughout history as well, and in different countries.

Well, scratch the first two because Braveheart is 1300s and 300 is waaaaaay before the time period.

Someone said The Last of the Mohicans. That one is pretty great. And I think Forest Gump technically counts as a historical movie, too... Would a television mini series count? Like a 4 episode one or something? Because Hatfields and McCoys was pretty damned amazing. When they show it on tv now, they pretty much have it like a multi part movie.

Better yet, here's a giant list: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls009668055/

Oooh, and I just saw that Road to Perdition is on this list. I guess it could be considered historical because of the time period. It takes place during the Great Depression, and is about a hitman and his son who go on the run from the mafia he works for. If you watch that, prepare the tissues.

One I just thought of: Cinderella Man. It's a true rags to riches story about a boxer during the Great Depression. It's pretty interesting.

Oh! And a movie about 9/11. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. I bawled my fucking eyes out. It's a great movie, though, and I definitely recommend watching it.

Idk how I ended up with like 3 Tom Hanks movies on this list, but whatever. XD

Oh, and just for kicks, Idk if it will count, but it's also set in the Great Depression, but Oh Brother Where Art Thou. Idk if your professor would go for that one because it's a comedy, but it's worth watching sometime (it's on netflix). Idk if I've ever laughed so damned hard at a movie.

.....I like historical movies a lot...

Kiki
Member Avatar
Kiki Martius Chantico

Quote:

Because Hatfields and McCoys was pretty damned amazing. When they show it on tv now, they pretty much have it like a multi part movie.

Watching that right now as I see your comment, myself! Like, at this very minute! It's quite good. My only gripe is my own fault -- I suck at telling faces apart, and so all these scruffy guys look the same to me.

Crystallux
Member Avatar

Kiki
Dec 9 2017, 11:35 PM
Quote:

Because Hatfields and McCoys was pretty damned amazing. When they show it on tv now, they pretty much have it like a multi part movie.

Watching that right now as I see your comment, myself! Like, at this very minute! It's quite good. My only gripe is my own fault -- I suck at telling faces apart, and so all these scruffy guys look the same to me.
Lol for real. Just about every male has a beard.

Oooh. I thought of another one. The Dirty Dozen. It's a WWII movie that is about a military commander who has to train a bunch of military convicts for a suicide mission. Roughly based off of a true story, and is also the movie that Suicide Squad is based off of.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
« Previous Topic · ře Olde Mother Fornicating Artes Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Affiliates

Golden Sun Universe Golden Sun Hacking Community The Lost Waters Golden Sun Land Golden Sun Adept's Refuge Golden Sunrise

Visit the Zetaboards Theme Zone for a custom theme of your own!