Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Temple of Kraden News: Welcome to the Temple of Kraden! ------ All worshipers may enter the Most Holy Place in single file, reflecting on the bountiful blessing Kraden hath provided unto him or herself since their last visit. Head coverings are not necessary, as true penitence and humility are found within. The Priests and Priestesses of Kraden endeavor to remind all that fresh orange juice is heavily preferred; only whores use frozen.
Greetings, heathen. Perhaps some fortuitous blessing of Kraden's grace hath led you to our humble Temple, or perhaps you are simply curious about this strange and wonderful cult. Should you be willing - and dare to hope - to achieve enlightenment, the door opens before you. Lo! Leave your old life behind! For once you step through, you become something more than just yourself.

You become a Kradenette.

Are you willing to make the rapturous plunge? Do you have what it takes?

One of us! One of us! One of us!

Already one of us? Make your presence known:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Broken Sanctum: Luna Clan Worldbuilding
Topic Started: Mar 28 2015, 04:38 AM (3,689 Views)
Necare
Member Avatar
Fallen Angel

Welcome! To the worldbuilding topic for the Luna Clan, centering on the sequel to Devastation and Reform! Here is the general worldbuilding thread. Each Clan will have one of these public worldbuilding topics. These are here to help us craft the specific lore of our Clan. But before we get started, we have some basics to cover. Here they are.

Rules

Setting

Factions

I think that's most of it! Some things will be subject to change, so you can give input on those as well. The names for the Wayward, the animal motifs, etc. Now, let's start worldbuilding our Clan! Here are some guiding questions to get your juices flowing, and feel free to ask questions of your own. I may have forgotten to mention something.

What is our plane like? For my part, I'm picturing an endless black void with no moon, but filled with stars that give everything a soft luminescence. Possibly subterranean cities, lots of smooth black rock, slightly reflective and transparent. An environment that would really screw with things like spatial awareness and depth perception for an outsider.

What is our psynergy like? Don't think in terms of domains. Do we control shadow? Is it solid? What about entropy, the ability to accelerate the natural process of degradation in matter? Remember, no OP stuff.

What's our technology level? Rudimentary, or maybe high-end magitech? What feels right?

What about our culture? What do Lunarians value? What matters to us? What widespread talents or traits do we have? Do we have religion? More than one?

Government? Aside from the Leader and Second still existing as positions, how do we function? Tying in to this, this is CLAN WARS. We are actually going to have wars this time, and that means military brainstorming, lots of it. Unit types, doctrine, anything you can think of. Let us have it.

What is the general trend in our appearance? What animal motif would you prefer to the ones already suggested?

There, that should get you started. Don't feel like you have to dive into every point at once, unless you feel like it of course! Just share your thoughts with us, whatever they are, even if they don't neatly fit into any of those categories.

Also, one final word on which I will not be moved: no edgelord bullshit. We are not evil for the sake of evil. We don't have bloodsport, we don't torture people, and we are not a tyrannical dictatorship. Nor or we composed entirely of thieves, assassins, spies and sleeper agents all serving a dark government of secrets and lies. Not this time.

Keep in mind this does not mean that you can't make a character who is an assassin or something. Just that that is not how most of the Clan functions, nor is it an in-RP stereotype. If I start noticing a trend in Lunarian characters, there will be >________>'s to go around.

Have fun!

EDIT: Okay, it's taken like a year but I am now going to be editing in all of the worldbuilding that has been done for Luna since this thread was created, both inside and outside it. I have done my utmost to collate and organize and stuff will continue to get filled in, most likely throughout the RP. All the basics and essentials should be present though. It's already a fricking massive infodump, so any clarifying questions or details can be asked for in the thread or relevant skype chats, I don't mind answering them repeatedly. HERE WE GO.

General

Aphelion, Luna's Plane

Clan Relations

Weyard

Miscellaneous

:luna:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Phantom Squee
Member Avatar
Sound the horn and call the cry: "How many of them can we make die?"

Pasted from Sol thread:

I've mentioned this before, but I think it's worth bringing up again. On the note of Sol = Order, gonna copy/paste stuff from Skype here for consideration.

Long skypelog

TL;DR, by looking at the symbolism present in TBS and TLA, showing Sol as the release of the Alchemy (leading to growth and progress but also disorder and strife) and Luna as Alchemy sealed (leading to stability but also stagnation), I think it actually makes more sense to align Sol with Chaos and Luna with Order.

I feel this also ties in well with the proposed animal motifs of Sol and Luna, with winged insects like mayflies typically being associated with the ephemeral, the impermanent, and a lack of restraints (or in the case of butterflies, change), and ants being the go-to example of extremely communal insects that operate far more effectively in groups and hold to a rigid social structure.

Just my two cents, obviously it's your call.

Necare
Member Avatar
Fallen Angel

That's a direction I can get behind. One of the ideas I've had for Luna's culture in this RP, continuing my intention to break away from our past incarnations as a collection of barely-sustained chaos, is to place an emphasis on friends, family, and unity.

Due in part to the way Luna has been the outcasts and persecuted in a lot of Temple RPs, I think it's fitting for them to value loyalty and protectiveness in their new world. A logical progression would be family/friends > community > Clan, although you could also put the individual before any of those groups, to retain a touch of that old arrogance and selfishness. This is similar to Venus' more traditional, typical heroic values of loyalty, but perhaps more subconsciously structured. Basically I want to convey the idea that on the whole Luna Clan looks after its own, values loyalty and bonds of friendship, and looks harshly on things like treason or any type of betrayal. This extends to other Clans; they respect those who share their values, and are distrustful of those who don't.

Another aspect of their culture I'd like to develop is their mythology. I want this version of Luna to be kind of ethereal and mystical, not just physically, but in their art and beliefs. I'm imagining this manifesting as them placing emphasis on storytelling and myths, preserving as much history as they can. This would tie in to wanting to protect their legacy in case they're ever threatened again, as well as wanting to be as close as possible to, or understand, the gods, Luna especially. This could be part of their thematic ties to preservation and stability, without necessarily stagnating, because...

While I think the idea of order and structure fits in well in certain ways, like the current animal motif we have, I'm having difficulty reconciling it with the idea of Luna as an agent of change and chaos. That was how I played things in D&R's conclusion; Luna got directly involved, hiding the actions of the usurpers from the other gods, siding with them in the final fight, and turning Necare into what may have been the first Luna Elemental, appointing him to guide the new Clan and be an agent of chaos and change to ensure things never got this bad again.

I suppose a few ways of dealing with that would be saying that, because Sunnruner became the new Luna, the old Luna's ideals and intentions wouldn't necessarily carry over, especially since Sunruner went into the fight with the main motivation of protecting her people. Also, I envision Necare as going back to Weyard (or Luna's Plane, rather, once the remaking was done) to guide the new Clan, and his mission to ensure Luna changed and grew beyond what they were may have resulted in a faction or belief system that is at odds with the rest of the Clan.

The Phantom Squee
Member Avatar

I like the idea of having them focus on history and memory, yeah. It works with their theme of wanting to get past their former dark reputation, even if nobody still around even consciously remembers it.

As far as the community focus, maybe for the Lunarians, there simply is no hierarchy. Since they believe in the interconnectedness of their bretheren, to help the clan is to help the individual, and vice versa.

Hisui
Member Avatar
Seccy "no fun allowed" Secundum

I'm still all for the sleeper agents thing. *Waits for "LUNA KIDNAPS CHILDREN!" cry*

Saturos
Member Avatar
heart-under-blade

Necare aside, Seccy, how exactly are you going to kidnap children when only Lunarians live on their plane? >_>

FrozenWrath
Member Avatar
Somebody

Simple. They keep the children in a totally conspicuous warehouse, where they do... things to them.

Of course, a hero's bound to see through that.

Saturos
Member Avatar
heart-under-blade

I don't think that'd work.

I mean, if your character wants to do that personally, okay... but since Necare has last say on general Clan things, I think that's up to him there.

Chrono Ivan
Member Avatar
He who strikes like lightning

Ok, I like your ideas necare.

But what if, instead, exactly the opposite of that and Luna are a bunch of rapacious murderous assassins, traitorous spies, infiltratory poisoners, and sadistic torturers who abduct clanless children and indoctrinate them into their religion of nihilistic hate following their dark god whose worship mandates the murder of those weaker than you? They live in a world of perpetual darkness upon a land of twisted, sharpened black glass, shrouded in the screaming of their innocent victims.

OH! and they abduct clanless adults for food.

Anyways what is your element's guiding philosophy?

Necare
Member Avatar
Fallen Angel

SolSeccy
Mar 28 2015, 07:45 PM
I'm still all for the sleeper agents thing. *Waits for "LUNA KIDNAPS CHILDREN!" cry*
Come at me with this again and I'm shunting you back into Sol.

Working on it, Chrono! I think we've got a good bare bones idea going, will fill everyone in when I have the free time.

Hisui
Member Avatar

Saturos
Mar 28 2015, 07:58 PM
Necare aside, Seccy, how exactly are you going to kidnap children when only Lunarians live on their plane? >_>
Hmm...Some sort of teleporting through shadows synergy? Akin to what the Shadowkhan use in JCA.

Saturos
Member Avatar
heart-under-blade

No, denied.

If you start that kind of OP power level creep you're going to have D&R all over again.

Necare
Member Avatar
Fallen Angel

Alright, so Ras, Insul and I have done some worldbuilding in an impromptu chat. Hold onto your butts, and help us explore this.

I am making a bit of an effort for Sol and Luna to contrast each other in most areas, so if Sol is chaos disguised as order, it would follow that Luna would be order disguised as chaos. I'm not sure if that's the case with what we have so far, but here we go.

Philosophy and Main Theme

So, to reconcile the idea that Luna values memory and history without stagnation, with the fact that I was pushing for them to become agents of chaos in D&R's conclusion, what we're thinking right now is that on the whole, Lunarians will embody both of those concepts. Two sides of the same coin. They value change, growth, and discovery, but those things only have value if you can remember what things were like before. Thus, both history and the future have their place.

An aspect of this is darkness. Rather than viewing it as edgelord-y and dangerous, Lunarians enjoy the darkness because to them, darkness represents change and chaos. It is the potential for new things and new discoveries. The goal is to have them value chaos and change, but not as a force of destruction, as a force that can be directed and harnessed to constantly improve. Chaos is the source of life.

Another aspect of this would be an acceptance or focus on transience. If Sol is focused on the present, the immediate concerns of this world, then Lunarians are at peace with the knowledge that all things must end, including their own lives. This isn't building up to making them deathseekers or anything, but it is another facet of their acceptance and desire for change. It doesn't mean they don't mourn death, but emotionally, they probably deal with it better, or move on from it quicker, than most. Not sure whether this would be a point for or against them having any type of religion or belief in an afterlife, because if they believe something else waits beyond, maybe that would take away from the value of this mindset.

Luna's Plane

We've also developed the appearance of the place a bit! So, the endless black void filled with stars is going to be a mainstay. Also, I feel this is important to emphasize, we have no moon. In part because I want to avoid having a big, singular light source, and it could lead to some fun worldbuilding regarding religion. Where is our Goddess, etc.

Ras and I were talking, because if our "sky" is basically space, what kind of terrain would we actually have? Just floating around in the void would be boring. So we discussed my rudimentary idea about the black glass stuff with weird spatial properties, and at work yesterday I had an idea. It came from the idea of some Lunarians being based off spiders. So we came up with starsilk. Basically, picture spider silk; super strong, super flexible, only this stuff is infused with a starry luminescence. Lunarians wouldn't make it ourselves; none of our powers would allow for the creation of matter, and we wouldn't be biologically capable of it. I'm thinking it would be one of our very few natural resources, perhaps produced by some kind of microorganism, and that it's a skill that has to be cultivated, harvesting it, refining, weaving, etc. Due to its properties, it would be a primary building material, possibly with entire cities being made out of it.

Having come up with this, I am now less reluctant to include the idea of subterranean cities (since I feel like Lunarian views would have a lot of them enjoying spending time under the open sky instead of nestled underground) that would be carved and hollowed out on the inside of these big masses of black glass. I'm thinking our entropic psynergy would be a good explanation for our skill in shaping these internal dwellings, especially since we're strongest in our home plane, where such massive feats would be more plausible.

Without stealing too much from Jupiter, I think rather than a single large landmass, we would have tons of this black glass substance, of all shapes and sizes, from the truly massive to the rather small, floating in this void. But rather than Luna existing in hundreds of smaller communities that simply drift through the void, we use starsilk to connect all of our cities and settlements, adding each newly settled chunk to our vast web. Connecting with our theme of transience and change, our world would be constantly shifting; because of starsilk's flexibility, we can actually rearrange the layout of our civilization. Move this city over there, separate this section and reconnect it there, reel in this town for a few days, etc. Naturally this would require an impressive amount of coordination and teamwork, emphasizing again our community ties and bonds of family and friendship.

Thus we could conceivably be order disguised as chaos. To an outsider Luna's plane would appear haphazard and ready to collapse at a moment's notice, but behind every movement and adjustment would be careful planning and sound reason. Benefit the individual and you benefit the whole; endanger the whole and you endanger the individual.

Culture/Skills

Tying in to our philosophy and the setup of our plane, I feel like a lot of Lunarians would be explorers and architects. Instead of fearing the unknown, they embrace it, and this wouldn't be restricted to our plane alone. I imagine many Lunarians would be eager to visit Weyard and the other planes. The specialization in architecture would of course be a result of the physicality of our plane (I'm thinking a lot of our cities would be full of geometric shapes or layouts, something that again speaks of the importance of order) and they might make use of their skills for other Clans and the Clanless.

I don't know if Lunarians would have a lot of art, but one idea I had was for slow-degrading sculptures. Another counterpart to Solian art; theirs is blink-and-you'll-miss-it beauty, but ours would require patient attention to notice. Sculptors would employ delayed entropic psynergy and imbue it into a pattern into, say, a hunk of black glass. Over time, (days, months, maybe years) pieces and sections of the rock would erode until finally, the intended sculpture is created. But it wouldn't stop there; it would keep eroding until it had decayed fully. Look too soon, and you don't see the purpose. Look too late, and you never will. Each piece would be unique and transient.

Government

Still scarce on this one, but I'm favoring the idea of noble houses of some sort. All of them equal, but with a traditional history of something that the Clan considers valuable and as embodying their philosophies. A noble house of storytellers (and writers! Creating new tales is as important as preserving old ones), a noble house of architects, a house of explorers, etc. The Leader would be elected from one of these houses. I'm not sure what the criteria would be. Maybe something similar to the dwarves in Dragon Age; a Lunarian who makes a significant step in their field, that could be applied to better life for Lunarian society as whole, would increase standing in their house and increase their likelihood for being submitted as a Leader candidate.

Tidbits

This is the work of Ras and Insul as well, not just me. Also, most of this is of course, subject to change, and feedback and criticism is welcome. I haven't delved into things like sports or military just yet.

Lunarians view themselves as agents of change and chaos. This fuels their love of exploration and interacting with other cultures, but you can also extrapolate this in other ways if it fits with your Clan or character. Some might view them as meddlers, for example, or as having dangerous ideas.

Additionally, I feel like if this ends up being their overarching worldview, that the Waywardens would have less Lunarian members than others (relatively) because they stand for preservation and neutrality. Conversely, a large amount of Lunarians might be part of the Void Commune.

There might even be a fanatic splinter group that views the Zone and its expansion as a good thing, the next big change for Weyard. And, on the whole, Luna might be the least concerned about it (at the beginning at least) and a lot of the people who venture into it, whether they return or not, are probably Lunarian.

Saturos
Member Avatar
heart-under-blade

That looks really awesome! I love the idea of the Lunarian architecture and city structure, it's a brilliant and beautiful vision. ^^

The Phantom Squee
Member Avatar

The architecture/starsilk is a really good bit of lore, yeah. I also quite like the part about Lunarian art. I brought up the Vajrayana Buddhist mandalas earlier, how the idea with them is that you put effort into completing this beautiful work of art and then destroy it, and the philosophy seems very similar here.

leaf
Member Avatar
Crimson Leaf Vermillion

Quote:

We've also developed the appearance of the place a bit! So, the endless black void filled with stars is going to be a mainstay. Also, I feel this is important to emphasize, we have no moon. In part because I want to avoid having a big, singular light source, and it could lead to some fun worldbuilding regarding religion. Where is our Goddess, etc.

I find it strange you're going for this, actually. Luna - the moon - is not the absence of light entirely, but the presence of light amidst darkness. I would have imagined luna to be the exact opposite, with its religion and way of life based almost entirely around the cycles of the moon, with new and full moons being special occasions that should be observed by the religion. Perhaps with huge shrines to meticulously measure the moon's phases, similar to a number of real world ancient civilizations. It just seems odd for your namesake to not even be a part of your world.

Necare
Member Avatar
Fallen Angel

It does, doesn't it! That's how it is for now though. Maybe it will change. Perhaps the lack of a moon in our own plane is yet another reason Lunarians find for traveling abroad to study the moon in Weyard. Or the other planes, if they have them.

Tired right now, but I've come up with some more stuff, mainly relating to our military and the shadowglass, so I'll post that later. The feedback is appreciated; I'm particularly proud of the starsilk (Ras helped with that) so thanks!

Hisui
Member Avatar

Considering the name of Luna, I'm not sold on the lack of a moon thing. If you're so dead-set on no moon, maybe work it into the background that there used to be a moon?

Anyway, my first thought on 'no moon' was that we had a Death Star instead was some sort of Aurora type thing. Less of a singular light source, and closer to something that provided equal-ish light everywhere...Kind of like a light...haze?

Liking the noble houses bit, reminds me of all of the stuff in Gehenna.

One thing I thought of when you mentioned the 'black glass substance' was to maybe have a Noble House that specialised in (plus retainers) crafting physical matter out of Shadows. This could either be commonplace (so all of the buildings etc. were made with it) or more rare (so nobles and wotnot got mansions made out of this 'physical shadow matter' and important locations).

Necare
Member Avatar
Fallen Angel

I'm certainly open to ideas anyone has for the "origin" of the plane and an explanation for the lack of a moon. Leaf's idea of shrines or observatory posts making a big deal out of monitoring the phases is pretty cool.

Auroras are a little too colorful for what I have in mind, Seccy, and a haze feels too...oppressive. I feel like having stars spread out everywhere through the sky already fulfills the idea of light being present throughout the plane, as well as our starsilk structures.

I'm not totally opposed to the idea of solid shadows, but if we did end up doing that, it would be restricted to our plane only, I think. And I'd hesitate to commit even to that without feedback from other people.

Before my next big worldbuilding update, I'd like some feedback on a few things. Ras and I have tossed around a few ideas regarding the nature of Luna's plane; things like having no atmosphere, wonky gravity, and whether our stars are fixed or not. I welcome questions or your own thoughts on this, since they aren't set in stone. The question of our stars is of particular interest, because it has occured to me that in a dark abyss with no moon or sun, that if our stars are fixed, Lunarians might not have a way to monitor the passage of time.

I don't want to get carried away with all my thoughts for this and end up turning Lunarians into people whose lifestyle is so alien that they can't cope anywhere else, or make our plane so inhospitable that it requires super convoluted explanations for how and why other people would visit. So criticize or shoot down these ideas as it please you.

HyrulianJedi
Member Avatar
uguu~
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Having no atmosphere basically does prevent anyone from entering the plane, except for maybe Jupiter Adepts. No gravity, however, would be interesting, particularly with your thoughts of disorientation and movement of things.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Luna Clan · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Affiliates

Golden Sun Universe Golden Sun Hacking Community The Lost Waters Golden Sun Land Golden Sun Adept's Refuge Golden Sunrise