Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Temple of Kraden News: Welcome to the Temple of Kraden! ------ All worshipers may enter the Most Holy Place in single file, reflecting on the bountiful blessing Kraden hath provided unto him or herself since their last visit. Head coverings are not necessary, as true penitence and humility are found within. The Priests and Priestesses of Kraden endeavor to remind all that fresh orange juice is heavily preferred; only whores use frozen.
Greetings, heathen. Perhaps some fortuitous blessing of Kraden's grace hath led you to our humble Temple, or perhaps you are simply curious about this strange and wonderful cult. Should you be willing - and dare to hope - to achieve enlightenment, the door opens before you. Lo! Leave your old life behind! For once you step through, you become something more than just yourself.

You become a Kradenette.

Are you willing to make the rapturous plunge? Do you have what it takes?

One of us! One of us! One of us!

Already one of us? Make your presence known:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Job Hunting/Employment Thread
Topic Started: May 6 2013, 03:57 AM (76,510 Views)
Nell
Member Avatar
The Pretender
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So, who else is elbow-deep in that horrible, self-esteem-hemorrhaging process that is looking for work? Advice? Resume tips? Commiserations? "Came so close"? "What kind of a shitty process is an interview anyway"? Vent here.

(Someone feel free to move this if you think it should be in Life/Support or something.)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Boner Midget
Member Avatar
"HAHA, LOOK AT HOW SMALL IT IS."

Yup, right here. I've been looking since I lost my job in January, and haven't had any luck. Granted, I've had interviews, but none of them actually end up working out, cuz I don't get calls back from the places. I have an interview today actually, so I'm hoping that it works out though.

Job hunting [radio edit]ing sucks.

Saturos
Member Avatar
heart-under-blade

Maddy, call them back a few days after you have the interview! They definitely appreciate people taking the initiative (how else to distinguish yourself against your competitors at that point?), and the few days gives them a courtesy period to contact you first.

I experienced even a bit of that self-esteem hemorrhaging from two weeks without school or work. I ended up giving in and going back to the grocery store, but at the same time I might have a lead on a tutoring job. Going to go meet with that individual today to find out if I'm hired.

Aevis Martius Ravi
Member Avatar
Origins

I hate job hunting because it typically leaves me depressed or angry (usually both), the anger stems from the amount of effort needed just to even get your metaphorical foot in the door. Not having a HS diploma really hinders my choice in employment, but that is why I am working on my ged. And my first job didn't end on good terms, so I would not be surprised if my one and only ref is bad. ;>_>

I looked for a job last year and tried several times and got nothing. It doesn't help I am in the middle of flippin' nowhere, 20 or so miles away from the nearest city. Very slim pickings around here. The more recent cuts to the space program and arsenal in said nearest city have only made things worse...

The last time I was close to landing one we were in South Carolina and had a house, I forget when, (maybe a year and a half ago now) I pretty much had a job. The interview went well but then our landlord decided to be a prick... though it was only seasonal (stocking job/help for christmas) it would have been something.

/ComiseratingRant

To those looking; I hope you find one soon.

Artemis
Member Avatar
Plus Ultra

Ahhhh I don't want to think about jorb :c

ShmittlesThePoe
Member Avatar
Pirate Wavemaster
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
As of yesterday, I've officially held a degree in Electrical Engineering for a full year and not been able to get a job. I've consistently been able to find at least 2 jobs to apply to every week (usually more). I've had phone interviews. I've had face to face interviews. I've applied to jobs in my field that are listed as being for people right out of high school. I've even started applying to internships just to get work experience in my field in order to be better considered for a real job. aaaaaaaaaaand nothing.

It's kind of infuriating.

I don't have any financial issues; my parents are still taking care of me. They aren't angry with me or anything, but I feel like every week I don't get a job I'm letting them down, even if they'd never admit to it. They've given me everything I could ask for to set me up for success in life. When I was in school, simply getting good grades was what I did for both myself and my parents. But now there's literally only one thing to do, and it all depends on how random people compare me to others applying for the same jobs. I gained all kinds of useful knowledge in college that will help me DO an Electrical Engineering job, but it's all meaningless if I can't GET a job in Electrical Engineering.

I realize I'm not in an actual desperate fighting-for-my-life situation, but it still sucks to get stuck where I am for this long.

So yeah, that's pretty much where I've been for the past year.

Valcos
Member Avatar
Whispering Moose Spirit of Destiny

Having good references really helped me. After they called my previous job and volunteer reference I was offered a job. (three different jobs actually. so it had to help lol.) If you really arent too picky and need part time work... literally apply everywhere. Job interviews suck though. I had my first couple and I had no idea what I was saying. Trying to relate all my experience to the job position. They all asked why I wanted to work as *insertposition*. So, thats a question to think about. Idk, just have an endearing smile. You should be fine. xD

HyrulianJedi
Member Avatar
uguu~
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Shmittles The Poe
May 6 2013, 10:03 AM
As of yesterday, I've officially held a degree in Electrical Engineering for a full year and not been able to get a job. I've consistently been able to find at least 2 jobs to apply to every week (usually more). I've had phone interviews. I've had face to face interviews. I've applied to jobs in my field that are listed as being for people right out of high school. I've even started applying to internships just to get work experience in my field in order to be better considered for a real job. aaaaaaaaaaand nothing.
...Welp [radio edit]. That's what I'm about to start school for.

Where are you job searching at, Shmittles?

Dracobolt
Member Avatar
Incorrigible

Today I had some good news on the job front, actually. About a week and a half ago I applied at this little Italian restaurant where some friends work. It's a nice place in the heart of Oakland, right by the university, so I was/am really crossing my fingers to land it because it'll make working and taking classes much easier. My friend, who is a shift manager and looking out for me, got back to me today saying his manager would be deciding on interviews this weekend, so I'm optimistic. Gotta brush up on my charm skills.

For anyone without any leads or luck, I'll say this. Do not underestimate the power of networking. It's what you know, but it's also who you know. Make sure people in your circle of friends know that you're looking for work. That's how I got the gig at the children's theatre and also the consulting job.

:mercury_djinn: :mercury_djinn: :mercury_djinn:

Saturos
Member Avatar
heart-under-blade

Yeah, networking really helps. My brother had a easier time of getting a job at the grocery store than I did, because whereas I knew no one on the inside (and so I called every few days to ask "Have you read my resume, and when would you like to schedule an interview?"), my reference meant that he got in pretty easily (still had to interview, but yeah).
Good luck, Draco! That was a lovely restaurant, and it'd be fun to work there!

HyrulianJedi
Member Avatar
uguu~
Even if I do think it's blasphemy that someone who doesn't like Italian food is working at an Italian restaurant. :argh:

Saturos
Member Avatar
heart-under-blade

She's clearly just going to drink all the chocolate liquor.

Just not while working, I hope. 8D

Hinoa
Member Avatar
Enabling Terrible Ideas since 2012

HyrulianJedi
May 6 2013, 03:26 PM
Even if I do think it's blasphemy that someone who doesn't like Italian food is working at an Italian restaurant. :argh:
Well, you don't have to like it to serve it...

(Also, why Draco doesn't like Italian food after spending a semester in Italy is a complete [radio edit]ing mystery to me...)

[[EDIT]]: Oh dear, that won't end well...

HyrulianJedi
Member Avatar
uguu~
Hinoa
May 6 2013, 03:30 PM
I'm not talking about her ability to do the job.

I'm talking about all the wasted potential of taking meals, stuff sent back to the kitchen, and hookups.

Saturos
Member Avatar
heart-under-blade

HyrulianJedi
May 6 2013, 03:41 PM
Hinoa
May 6 2013, 03:30 PM
I'm not talking about her ability to do the job.

I'm talking about all the wasted potential of taking meals, stuff sent back to the kitchen, and hookups.
One of these things is not like the others~

Phoenix7
Member Avatar
Odyssey, ya see~ Odyssey, ya see~

Just because I've been to France for 1/8 of my life doesn't mean I enjoy indulging in snails and such. (“・ω・)つ

It took me several months to get a job, and is by no means an easy feat due to the economy right now in particular. My advice for anyone who is currently struggling to find something is to do something, like volunteering. Gives you skills, shows you aren't just twiddling your thumbs and shows you're willing to do things other than for the money. You absolutely MUST keep that resume/CV going to give employers a good impression of you; that's my most crucial tip.

Also, in this day and age you have to big up a little what you've actually done. Don't go over the top and say you've revolutionised the way your profession works (unless you've got damn good experience) but to give an idea I put down on my CV how I taught volunteers at my local library who joined a year or two after me how to do the role and where everything was kept in the library. Now, I did actually do this...but it was only once in my memory, and just overseeing them handle the first couple of customers and approving/asking them to tweak stuff. Simple thing I did, but made me stand out on my CV to sell myself to employers, and the employers who did comment on it during interviews really liked it.

And always make sure you keep your experience and skills relevant; don't go for an office job and say you're fantastic with customer service when you likely won't be doing any of that. You'd be surprised how easy it is to actually mix that kind of thing up. Draw the right traits and expand on them.

Nell
Member Avatar
The Pretender
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
^ Yeah, but do you like croissants?

I agree that it's important to do stuff, even when you're not employed. Holes on your CV can be incredibly difficult to explain.

I read an interesting article a few months ago about the prevalence of interning/volunteering/clerkships in certain industries - so you pay for your education, and university gives you knowledge and skills, but in order to gain experience to actually get employment in your field, you're expected to work for free or for almost nothing for several years, and that expectation is systemic. Publishing is really guilty of this, but law and journalism would be on the top of the list, too.

This expectation comes to a head, of sorts, when universities have started requiring students to complete placements and internships as credit towards your degree - so, you end up paying the university X thousand dollars to complete a unit where you provide free labour for a company in your industry, which at best could be construed as counterintuitive.

Saturos
Member Avatar
heart-under-blade

^ Yeah. My cousin's just competing a pharmacy programme, and in her last term she pays to attend school... and then is put into a placement at a local grocery store pharmacy... and is forced to work 60 hours a week, and only get paid for 20. Though the fact she gets paid at all is something, at least.

Kiki
Member Avatar
Kiki Martius Chantico

Holy shit Satty, that's insane.

ShmittlesThePoe
Member Avatar
Pirate Wavemaster
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
HyrulianJedi
May 6 2013, 11:58 AM
Shmittles The Poe
May 6 2013, 10:03 AM
...Welp [radio edit]. That's what I'm about to start school for.

Where are you job searching at, Shmittles?
I've considered the idea that I'm being too picky by limiting my search by location , but I don't think I'm being unreasonable when that location is all of Texas.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Affiliates

Golden Sun Universe Golden Sun Hacking Community The Lost Waters Golden Sun Land Golden Sun Adept's Refuge Golden Sunrise

Visit the Zetaboards Theme Zone for a custom theme of your own!