Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Temple of Kraden News: Welcome to the Temple of Kraden! ------ All worshipers may enter the Most Holy Place in single file, reflecting on the bountiful blessing Kraden hath provided unto him or herself since their last visit. Head coverings are not necessary, as true penitence and humility are found within. The Priests and Priestesses of Kraden endeavor to remind all that fresh orange juice is heavily preferred; only whores use frozen.
Greetings, heathen. Perhaps some fortuitous blessing of Kraden's grace hath led you to our humble Temple, or perhaps you are simply curious about this strange and wonderful cult. Should you be willing - and dare to hope - to achieve enlightenment, the door opens before you. Lo! Leave your old life behind! For once you step through, you become something more than just yourself.

You become a Kradenette.

Are you willing to make the rapturous plunge? Do you have what it takes?

One of us! One of us! One of us!

Already one of us? Make your presence known:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What are you reading?
Topic Started: Jan 16 2008, 11:59 PM (16,572 Views)
Blissfulystoopid
Unregistered

I got the idea from our newest Affiliates forums. Basically, just post what your currently reading, presuming of course, you are literate enough to read. It's a good way to learn about good books I figure.

I just finished "The High King's Tomb," by Kristen Britain. It's the third in the Green Rider series, all three of which I got for Christmas and was incredibly surprised at how much I loved them. (I saw over there that you read this Draco, I find that to be an incredible coincidence, to say the least, but I bet you'll agree how freakin awesome this series is, and I've only known it for a few weeks)

Moving on, starting tomorrow (Tomorrow being 2 minutes away as I post this) I'll be reading some Tom Clancy book my mother just bought herself that I'll be stealing.
Quote Post Goto Top

Dracobolt
Member Avatar
Incorrigible

You're my new best friend, Blitz. I friggin' love those books. Best fantasy series I've read. Too bad it'll be, like, four years before the next book. x_x

I'm reading "A Room of One's Own" by Virginia Woolf for Shakespeare and Gender class.

:mercury_djinn: :mercury_djinn: :mercury_djinn:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Faust
Unregistered

Just finished reading "Brave New World". A little creepy at first, but after about the first chapter I was amazed at this unique world that Huxley created. An awesome read with some interestingly behaving characters, one of the few books which I might actually re-read.

I think the next book I want to read is Johnny Got His Gun, a WWI novel about a tormented parapuligic(?), with no limbs, mouth, nose, ears or eyes. The Metallica song One is based of the book, so I'm really excited to read this novel.
Quote Post Goto Top

Enro
Member Avatar
Sol Aurarius
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
You spelled that word wrong, I know, but I have no idea how to spell it myself >_>

Brave New World Was a good read, but it would have been so much better if I hadn't had to read it for school. A book is always tainted by having to overanalyse it like that. I mean, I had to write an essay on it in my final exams. Can't get much more intense than that.

Anyway, I recently finished The Golden Fool by Robin Hobb. It's the second in the Tawny Man Trilogy, and this trilogy itself is the last in a trilogy of trilogies. Of all 8 books in by Hobb that I've read, this is honestly probably the worst. Of course, that still means it was a great read. And it set things up really well for a very climactic finale.

Then I read The End by Lemony Snicket. I've been reading these books for about 6 years, and while a bit childish, they have some very adult themes. The final book in the 13-book series was a bit anti-climactic, but at the same time, it wrapped things up very nicely. It's one of those books that really gets you thinking. I highly recommend this whole series. It's called A Series of Unfortunate Events.

I'm not reading anything at the moment, but I recently bought (Only my second book purchase, after Harry Potter 7) All of Deltora Quest 3. I think the author is an Aussie, so you may not have heard of these, but I've loved the Deltora Quest books forever. The only reason that I haven't started reading it yet is because I'm planning on going to the library soon, and I don't want to get halfway through the book and then stop and read another one.

Suezo
Member Avatar

I'm going to be reading a ton of stuff for my Literature class this semester, so I'll go ahead and help keep this thread vivacious with my updates...

Paraplegic.

I read Voltaire's Candide on Tuesday and today I intend on starting, but not finishing, Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility. I really can't say too much about it, as I've not read it yet. I can say that I'm dreading reading it, as I believe it must be "chick lit." Hopefully, I'm proven wrong.

Blissfulystoopid
Unregistered

Rider Sir Karigan Galadheon is like my new God. (and the thing with her in a Weapon outfit and becoming a SwordMaster Initiate = WHOAMGAWESOME)
Seriously Draco, I love the sheer luck I have in plucking it off a shelf. I was disappointed, because I thought it was a trilogy, and that I'd have the whole thing out and not have to go through an agonizing wait...And I now must go through a wait even more agonizing then I would have anticipated because they were SO good!

Anyways, the book I mentioned before is "Net Force, Hidden Agendas" by Tom Clancy. Forgot to mention the name earlier >.>
Quote Post Goto Top

Saturos
Member Avatar
heart-under-blade

Tom Clancy's a fairly good writer, and if war scenes/mechanics/strategy/espionage/intrigue are your thing, you'd love his stuff. I've read Rainbow Six and The Hunt for Red October by him, both pretty damn good.

I'm not reading anything currently, but the last thing I read was Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte (for school). It was pretty damn good as far as drama novels go, and in terms of technical writing and ability, Bronte did amazingly with it. Atmosphere/feeling, decisive setting, characterization/realism, it was pretty damn ownage.
I also finished rereading Hamlet, also for school... some pretty good concepts in there, but for the most part I preferred Romeo and Juliet or MacBeth to Hamlet - hell, even the original Amleth story was better than Hamlet.

Blissfulystoopid
Unregistered

Oh, another 'series' I highly recommend would be The Black Magician Trilogy, by Trudi Canavan (The first of which being "The Magicians Guild.") Draco, I think you in particular would like this, it felt somewhat similar in interest to me (although the two series' are completely different, this should certainly lessen the wait with a series that is complete and you won't have to wait for it to finish)
Quote Post Goto Top

Momentime
Member Avatar
uh oh

Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian.

....I'm giving up on Les Mis for now >_>

Dracobolt
Member Avatar
Incorrigible

Blissfulystoopid
Jan 17 2008, 03:49 PM
Oh, another 'series' I highly recommend would be The Black Magician Trilogy, by Trudi Canavan (The first of which being "The Magicians Guild.") Draco, I think you in particular would like this, it felt somewhat similar in interest to me (although the two series' are completely different, this should certainly lessen the wait with a series that is complete and you won't have to wait for it to finish)

I tried that, actually. Read the first book, forgot all about it, then got all the books from the library, read the first two, and finally stopped halfway through the third. Just didn't quite hold my interest. But I did like the setup of the first book, at least.

Also, if you are looking for an interesting fantasy book, try Mairelon the Magician. It's pretty sweet. Regency-era England, but with magic.

Right now I'm reading Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep.

Hinoa
Member Avatar
Enabling Terrible Ideas since 2012

Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett. I've read it a million times, and yet it never gets old.

Dracobolt
Member Avatar
Incorrigible

The introduction to As You Like It. I'll be starting the play tomorrow, probably.

Bane Martius Agni
Member Avatar
Archon Agni, of Clan Martius

Wikipedia. Good stuff.

Enro
Member Avatar
Sol Aurarius
Recently borrowed Fool's Fate by Robin Hobb, the final book in the Tawny Man trilogy. I'm incredibly excited! I'm about 14 pages in...

Dracobolt
Member Avatar
Incorrigible

Back to A Room of One's Own. It's actually a very good read. If anyone is ever assigned this, don't feel the need to groan. Woolf has a good style that's easy to read and rather enjoyable.

Erik the Appreciator
Member Avatar
Master of Trivia, Grand Patron of 5 Gens

Blissfulystoopid
Jan 16 2008, 08:59 PM
Basically, just post what your currently reading, presuming of course, you are literate enough to read.

Or care enough about books that you would actually read them over doing other things like stuff that involves a display screen or two, which is honestly a superior medium. =P

I only read when I have to, which is why I did read Brave New World a couple years back when it was a school assignment. I needed to look at Wikipedia to understand the whole thing, though. I've always found reading to be a bore and a chore, personally.

Dracobolt
Member Avatar
Incorrigible

Well, you fail at life. You're sleeping on the couch tonight. *kicks Erik out of the topic*

Reading the Duquesne Duke, our newspaper.

Dracobolt
Member Avatar
Incorrigible

www.whatclaudiawore.blogspot.com is my current reading material. Also, today I read As You Like It and The Marriage of Figaro. Both. In one day. Two plays. My brain is dead from text. Don't know what I'll read next. Maybe get back to The Big Sleep.

Enro
Member Avatar
Sol Aurarius
You'll take a Big Sleep if you keep reading so much, Draco >_>

LSunnyC
Member Avatar
The Fallen Duchess

O.o The Courtisan's Daughter.

I was made to wait in the school library for almost an hour today, waiting for the old lady with my paycheque who never showed up. Bleh.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · ře Olde Mother Fornicating Artes Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Affiliates

Golden Sun Universe Golden Sun Hacking Community The Lost Waters Golden Sun Land Golden Sun Adept's Refuge Golden Sunrise

Visit the Zetaboards Theme Zone for a custom theme of your own!